The Foundation Stone for Halifax Technical College was laid on 23 May 1893 and classes began in 1896* in one laboratory, a weaving shed, and various classrooms. There were 1000 students, 23 part time teachers and one full time teacher plus, presumably, a Principal. Halifax Technical College offered courses in textiles, engineering, chemistry, commerce and ‘women’s work’. Note : Halifax Technical College was formed from a Halifax Mechanics Institute (1825) and a Halifax School of Art (Queens Road)(1859). In 2013, the College celebrated its 120th birthday (1891 to 1956 Halifax Technical College)/Percival Whitley College (from 1957) and Calderdale College(from 1988).