British Sign Language – Level 1
This qualification is designed to enable learners to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL) on a range of topics that involve simple, everyday language usage.
Entry Requirements: No formal qualifications needed
This course is for learners who are aged 19+.
The course consists of three units which are assessed both internally and externally:
- BSL 101 – Introduction to BSL Introductory skills providing a limited range of simple words and sentences in BSL.
- BSL 102 – Conversational BSL Skills for simple, predictable conversations or instructions in BSL in relation to activities at home, e.g. using numbers, describing interests and commenting on the weather.
- BSL 103 – BSL at School, College of Work Skills for simple, predictable conversations or instructions in BSL in relation to activities at Work/School/College, e.g. describing the building, activities carried out, transport used, directions.
This course is suitable for those who:
- Wish to acquire basic language skills to enable simple communication
- Wish to acquire new language skills as part of a programme of study
- Wish to progress to more advanced study and/or employment in the future
- Wish to study for personal development
- Are parents, family, friends or colleagues of Deaf People
There is no writing or note taking. There is lots of practice in groups, private study, including the use of video.
Learners are strongly encouraged to make arrangements which will allow them to practice their skills between classes.
Entry Requirements & Interview Process
A genuine willingness and commitment in wanting to learn a new language and culture.