Advanced Apprenticeship in Hairdressing - NVQ Level 3NVQ
The Level 3 NVQ Apprenticeship in Hairdressing is for those who have completed their Level 2 and want to enhance their skills and take on a more responsible position at work. They will be employed and have, or be in the processing of developing, their own client base within the salon. The Level 3 learner will have the opportunity to become a senior stylist within the organisation and will work with salon juniors. The type of salon where the learner is employed must be in a position to offer more complex tasks to evidence for the Level 3 qualification.
The Advanced Apprenticeship in Hairdressing also allows you to work in industry where an assessor will come to your workplace to assess you on the practical elements of the course. One day a week you will be released to College to complete the knowledge requirements, train in a realistic working environment and complete the Functional Skill elements of the programme. The units are selected on the basis of relevance to the industry and theemployability value.
These are some of the creative units you will undertake:
- Contribute to the Planning & Implementation of Promotional Activities - plan an activity such as the hairdressing competition and implement it
- Creatively cut hair - creating restyle cuts including aprecision cut
- Colour hair using a variety of techniques & Colour Correction - lightening hair and use of toners, resolve basic colour problems, creative colour techniques and corrective colouring using different types of products
- Creatively styling and dressing long hair - using conventional and non-conventional items and the use of accessories and added hair
The underpinning knowledge and Functional Skills are delivered along with the NVQ practical delivery in the college Commercial Salon on a day release basis. The Commercial Salon is used to assess practical competence.
Course Leader profile
I have vast experience in hairdressing, an industry which I enjoy and feel passionate about. I started my career as an apprentice then became a senior stylist in a large salon, following this I started my own business and have been a salon owner of two successful salons. I always enjoyed training staff which led me to a career in teaching. I undertake continuous professional development to learn new techniques and trends which I am able pass on to the learners. My aim is to support learners through there qualification, help them develop excellent practical skills, customer care of a high standard and find employment in this exciting industry.
Applicants should have completed the Level 2 Hairdressing course. If this has not been completed, GCSE Maths and English, at grade C or grade 4 or above are required. All applicants will be interviewed and assessed for suitability by a Training Officer. Applicants will be in relevant employment where the employer supports NVQ completion.
Interview with the Hairdressing Training Officer
Questions & Answers
How is the course assessed?
Assessment takes place in the Commercial Salon at college by curriculum staff and also in the workplace by a qualified assessor.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
You will be able to embark on a career as a qualified hairdresser, giving you options to work abroad, on cruise liners, work for established national and international companies, become self-employed, or move into related industries such as film and television alongside taking the Level 3 Hair and Media Make-Up qualification.
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
Before enrolment you will be asked to attend an interview with a Training Officer and complete a Basic Key Skills assessment. The results of this will be used to determine the level of support you will require to complete your framework successfully.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Part-time (day)
- Start Date: Various dates throughout the year
- Hours per week: 7 hours per week
- Days: To be confirmed
- Start Time: tbc
- End Time: tbc
- Duration: 72 weeks
- Course Fees: No fees payable for learners aged 16-18. For applicants over 18, please contact us for more information
- Venue: Calderdale College and Mark Riley Academy
- Faculty: Creative, Digital and Enterprise
- Department Manager: Carol Gladstone- South
- Level: Level 3
- Qualification Name: Advanced NVQ Level 3 Apprenticeship in Hairdressing
- Awarding Body: City and Guilds
- Course Contact: Edith Scott (9575)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.