BTEC Level 1 Certificate Art & DesignLevel 1 Diploma
A general introduction to the skills, media and techniques of the creative industries; on the course you will participate in a wide range of workshops and projects in which you will learn new skills, exploring the areas of:
- Mixed Media and Animation
The course will involve you in meeting and working with practicing artists & designers to gain an understanding of the type of jobs that are available within the creative industry. During the year you will complete projects which will build a visual portfolio, participate in the annual fashion show and be involved in a final year exhibition.
DescriptionCandidates study a variety of units that cover the core skills in art and design. The first explores visual language through drawing, painting, ceramics, textiles and looking at other artists. They are then introduced to various techniques and technologies including print, digital software etc. The remaining units consists of optional units and units which form a final major project.
An introductory course suitable for beginners. School leavers should aim for at least 4 GCSEs at grades G or grade 1 or above.
Interview with a specialist tutor where candidates will be required to show a portfolio of work, enthusiasm and a commitment to the course.
Questions & Answers
How is the course assessed?
Assessment is continuous throughout the course by the tutor.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
Candidates may wish to progress onto Level 2 Diploma in Art and Design or First Diploma in Music Technology. Career opportunities include graphic designer, photographer, and interior or product design and events management.
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
To help you to succeed in your course of study we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other condition which significantly affects your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or for further information about the support available, please contact the study support team on 01422 357357 Ext 9347.
Home Educated Young People
Young people aged 14-16 who are home educated can now access college courses free of charge to enhance their education. If you are interested in finding out more about the opportunities available please contact the School Liaison Team on 01422 399332.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Full-time
- Start Date: 2 January 2018
- Hours per week: 12 hours per week
- Days: All day Tuesday & Friday + Wednesday morning
- Start Time: tbc.
- End Time: tbc.
- Duration: 1 term, 2 terms or 1 year
- Course Fees: This course is free for students age 16 - 18. For students 19+ please contact our Student Services Team In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: Creative, Digital and Enterprise
- Department Manager: Robin Smith
- Level: Level 1
- Qualification Name: BTEC Level 1 Award/Certificate/Diploma Art & Design
- Awarding Body: EDEXCEL
- Course Contact: Catherine Powter (9752)
- Email: email@example.com
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.