BTEC Performing Arts Level 3 (90 Credit Diploma) - One year course; Performing Arts Level 3 Extended Diploma (TOP UP) One year extension course to the 90 Credit DiplomaBTEC BTEC Performing Arts Level 3 90 Credit Diploma One year course - Equivalent of 2 A- Levels; BTEC Performing Arts Level 3 Extended Diploma (TOP UP) One year extension course to the 90 Credit Diploma – Equivalent of 1 A- Level
The Performing Arts Industry is the second largest industry in the UK providing 8 million pounds per hour for the UK economy. Employment has risen by 6 per cent in the last year. The BTEC Level 3 diplomas in Performing Arts are vocational qualifications designed to give you an insight into the industry of the working performer. The course is diverse and broad, allowing learners to opt for a pathway which is relevant to their career choice. Pathways include: Acting, Musical Theatre, Dance and Combined Performance.
Our Performing Arts team offer a high level of training, experience insight and knowledge across our course provision. The BTEC diplomas in Performing Arts will allow you to explore many genres of performance, practitioners and performance methods giving you an insight into the different career paths that are available to you and can help you start a successful career or move onto further study.
Our goal is to liberate you as a performer, to teach you the skills and techniques you will need in this industry, but to allow you to play with theatre and push the boundaries of performance.
The course consists of mandatory units which all pathways will undertake, plus optional and project units which are designed to meet the needs of the group and their chosen career path.
Mandatory units include: Performance Workshop, Performing to an Audience, Rehearsing for Performance, The Historical Context of Performance and Arts Business.
Example of the Acting Pathway
- Theatre for Children
- Drama Improvisation • Classical Theatre
- Voice and the Actor
- Principles of Acting
Example of the Musical Theatre Pathway
- Musical Theatre Performance
- Singing Skills for Actors and Dancers
- Jazz Dance
- Developing Ballet Technique
Example of the Dance Pathway
- Contemporary Dance Technique
- Site Specific Performance
- Urban Dance
- Developing Ballet Technique
- Jazz Dance
Combined Performance Pathway
- With this unique pathway you can opt from the units above and specialise and focus your learning to your career choice. Perhaps you want to improve your singing skills but not as a Musical Theatre Performer? (Options depend on availability and timetabling – some units need to be delivered together e.g. Ballet and Jazz) The department has its own professional theatre space, rehearsal rooms and purpose built Dance studio. During the courses you will perform in at least two major productions in our own Empty Space Theatre and at outside venues. You will work with local industry related companies, meet Acting Agents and Dance specialists, take part in professional workshops and theatre visits and produce work to live client briefs.
Aimed at developing both practical skills and theoretical knowledge to underpin these skills, you will take part in workshops, rehearsals, conduct research portfolios, and diarise your development as an on-going process. You will undertake one project per half term, alongside skills classes that will run throughout the year. Your input, ideas and imagination is highly valued on our courses, energy and commitment is essential.
An advanced course suitable for those with at least 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C or grade 4 and above to include Maths and English or a relevant level 2 qualification such as BTEC First Diploma, GNVQ Intermediate, NVQ Level 2 or equivalent/relevant work experience. Applicants without formal qualifications will be considered subject to interview and audition. All applicants will be required to sight read a piece of text during the interview and will read this with the tutor
Interview with a specialist tutor and attendance at a Performance workshop (See Performing Arts DANCE page for more details of interview process for DANCE pathway)
Questions & Answers
How is the course assessed?
You will be assessed through workshops and performance work, research projects, the actor's journal and evaluative documents.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
What's Next Successful completion of the 90 Credit Diploma (One Year) may allow you to progress internally onto the Top Up Extended Diploma (One Year) – this will take two years in total. We have a high rate of learners who then progress onto Higher Education courses at Universities around the country and overseas and Drama Schools and Dance Conservatoires which are highly regarded in the industry. Further study includes Drama Therapy, Acting, TV and Film Acting, Musical Theatre Performance, Contemporary Dance, Theatre Studies, Drama and English although we have had learners go on to study much wider related subjects such as Set design, TV Production, Criminology and Psychology using their learnt skills effectively. Visit out Empty Space Theatre page for more info on past productions and students who are successfully working in the industry
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
To help you to succeed in your course of study we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other condition which significantly affects your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or for further information about the support available, please contact the study support team on 01422 357357 Ext 9347.
Home Educated Young People
Young people aged 14-16 who are home educated can now access college courses free of charge to enhance their education. If you are interested in finding out more about the opportunities available please contact the School Liaison Team on 01422 399332.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Full-time
- Start Date: September 2017
- Hours per week: Timetable is varied as this is a production based course meaning that hours and schedules vary based on productions.
- Days: Mon-Fri
- Start Time: 9:00 am
- End Time: 4.00 pm
- Duration: 1 year (90 Credit); 2 Years (Extended Diploma)
- Course Fees: This course is free for students age 16 - 18. For students 19+ please contact our Student Services Team In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: Creative, Digital and Enterprise
- Department Manager: Carol Gladstone-South
- Level: Level 3
- Qualification Name: BTEC Performing Arts Level 3 90 Credit Diploma One year course - Equivalent of 2 A- Levels; Performing Arts Level 3 Extended Diploma (TOP UP) One year extension course to the 90 Credit Diploma – Equivalent of 1 A- Level
- Awarding Body: EDEXCEL
- Course Contact: Andrea Quantrill (9760)
- Email: email@example.com
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.