Calderdale College Rugby Academy.
The new Calderdale College Rugby Academy has been set up in partnership with both Halifax Rugby League Football Club and Huddersfield Rugby Union Football Club in order to give students an all round rugby experience.
The modern day game relies on interchangeable skills which are required in both codes of the game and with the gap between the two codes becoming increasingly smaller, and the instances of cross-code players becoming more and more common, now, more than ever, is the time to embrace the skills required to progress in both sports.
The course will include elements of both Rugby League and Rugby Union and will finish the season with the development of a 7’s rugby team which will enter various invitational festivals where speed and agility are considered key elements.
• Train and play alongside the HRLFC first team in the College’s state-of-the-art facilities.
• Gain a range of employability skills and have the option to progress to university
• Receive quarterly performance reviews to help enhance your development both on and off the field
• Personal strength and conditioning programme
• Representative honours available – Yorkshire and England
• 1 to 1 training- The ultimate for player development. Sessions focused on an individual's needs and areas for improvement show accelerated gains and results.
• Video analysis - A key coaching tool to help every player develop.
• Match day preparation - Key to success, preparation. From warm ups to mental rehearsal and diet, all aspects will be covered to give your students the best chance to succeed. Failure to prepare is as good as preparing to fail.
• Match day management – The coach will prepare the team for each match as well as observe, provide feedback and therefore design a more fitting and accurate training programme for the academy.
More info here
Course Leader profile
Scott Murrell started his playing career at Drighlington ARLFC before joining the Leeds Rhinos Academy. During his time at Leeds he was part of the Great Britain academy squad which toured Australia. After leaving Leeds, Scott made 6 appearances for the London Broncos, before joining Hull Kingston Rovers where he made 178 first team appearances.
Scott now plays at Halifax RLFC where he is the Club Captain, he also acted as head coach for the 3 remaining fixtures of last season. Scott has extensive experience and knowledge of the game and is invaluable to the Club. Scott has also coached children in primary and secondary schools along with local community clubs. He has a great personality on and off the field and has become an integral part of the local rugby landscape.
All students must be studying a full time course or wanting to study the BTEC Sport that goes alongside the Academy. All applicants will be invited to a trial.
Questions & Answers
Who is the course for?
Learners,16-18, that are currently on a Full-time course at Calderdale College.
What makes the course special?
Students at the College will be able to utilise the extensive network and links in the community to help them progress professionally.
Home Educated Young People
Young people aged 14-16 who are home educated can now access college courses free of charge to enhance their education. If you are interested in finding out more about the opportunities available please contact the School Liaison Team on 01422 399332.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Full-time
- Start Date: September 2017
- Hours per week:
- Start Time:
- End Time:
- Venue: Calderdale College with Halifax Rugby League Football Club (HRLFC)
- Faculty: .
- Department Manager: .
- Level: Level 3
- Qualification Name: .
- Awarding Body: .
- Course Contact: Grant Soames (9377)
- Email: email@example.com
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.