ESOL Skills for Life
This course is for Adults who have English as their second language.
If you want to learn to speak, read and write everyday English or start working towards a nationally recognised qualification, this is the course for you.
This ESOL Skills for Life qualification is recognised nationally by employers and will support you to develop and improve your English language skills. These are essential for all aspects of life and particularly employment. You will develop skills in all aspects of speaking and listening,reading and writing.
The lessons are delivered around key themes familiar to you in everyday life which allows you to learn how to use English in everyday situations. In addition, citizenship is embedded within the ESOL Skills for Life All Modes qualification.
The flexibility of the course allows you to combine study and employment. The course is delivered by experienced ESOL tutors.
Teaching is delivered using accelerated learning principles and the learning environment supports both individual and group work in a classroom environment. Activities include active learning and the use of ICT in the classroom.
An initial assessment will determine entry onto the right level course. Additional Assessment for Learning will take place during the two week Course induction to ensure that learners are on the correct level to suit their skills, ability and previous learning.
You will participate in an interview with a specialist tutor who will include an initial assessment that includes discussion, reading and writing.
Questions & Answers
Does the course lead to a qualification?
Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life City and Guilds
How is the course assessed?
Progress is monitored closely and assessed regularly through coursework and review of the Individual Learning Plan. Learners will also complete mock tests and the course is formally assessed by examination at Levels 1 and 2 and by formal assignment at Entry level
Are there any opportunities for progression?
This qualification opens up opportunities in further education and employment. Progression is through Entry Level 1, 2 and 3 then moving to Functional Skills at Levels 1 and 2 and then GCSE English.
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
To help you to succeed in your course of study we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other condition which significantly affects your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or for further information about the support available, please contact the study support team on 01422 357357 Ext 9347.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Part-time (day) and Part-time (evening)
- Start Date: Various start dates throughout the year
- Hours per week: 3-6 hours per week
- Days: Monday - Thursday
- Start Time: 9.00 am; 6.00 pm
- End Time: 12.00 pm; 8.30 pm
- Duration: 18 weeks
- Course Fees: Please contact Student Services on 01422 399367 In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: English and Maths, Skills for Life
- Department Manager: Karen Porter
- Level: E1, E2, E3, Level 1
- Qualification Name: ESOL Functional Skills English
- Awarding Body: City & Guilds
- Course Contact: Admin Team (9329)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).