ESOL Skills for Life
A course to help students from other countries to develop their skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing in English.
This course will help you to develop your skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing in English. You will work with students from different countries. We cover topics that help you in your everyday life such as shopping, travel, health and also develop skills to help you to get a job. It is a part time course and you will usually attend 2 times a week. You will get a certificate when you complete each exam.
You will do lots of different activities to help you learn and to make your classes interesting. Sometimes you will work on your own, sometimes in a group or with a partner. You will use technology such as computers, digital cameras, mobile phones, tablets and video cameras. All the teachers have experience of working with students whose first language is not English so they will make your classes easy to understand.
This course is for people who were born outside the UK and who speak a language which is not English. You do not need to have any qualifications or to have learned English before. You will be invited to an interview to talk to the teachers to check that this is the right course for you. Please note that if you are an Asylum Seeker you must have been in the UK for at least 6 months before you can start the course.
At your interview you will be asked to talk to the teacher and to do some reading and writing if you can. This helps us to check which level of class is best for you.
Questions & Answers
Does the course lead to a qualification?
Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life City and Guilds
How is the course assessed?
Your teacher will look at your work every week to check your progress. You will have an Individual Learning Plan with targets for you to work towards. There is an exam at the end of each qualification; Speaking and Listening, Reading, Writing.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
You can progress through the levels of ESOL Entry 1, 2 and 3 and then to Functional Skills English level 1 and 2. Once you have achieved Entry 3 in English you can usually apply for a Level 1 course in a different area of the college if you want to.
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
To help you to succeed in your course of study we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other condition which significantly affects your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or for further information about the support available, please contact the study support team on 01422 357357 Ext 9347.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Part-time (day) and Part-time (evening)
- Start Date: September 2016
- Hours per week: 3-6 hours per week
- Days: Monday - Thursday
- Start Time: 9.00 am; 6.00 pm
- End Time: 12.00 pm; 8.30 pm
- Duration: 18 weeks
- Course Fees: Please contact Student Services on 01422 399367 In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: English and Maths, Skills for Life
- Department Manager: Karen Porter
- Level: Entry 1, Entry 2, Entry 3, Entry level/Pre Entry, Level 1
- Qualification Name: ESOL Functional Skills English
- Awarding Body: City & Guilds
- Course Contact: Admin Team (9329)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).