Bricklaying City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma
This course is for people interested in a career as a trades person, working in the construction industry. This course is ideal for developing skills in Brickwork. This is a practical and theory based course which consists of you working through a number of technical and practical units.
16-18 Year Old Study Programme.
This is a practical and theory based course which consists of you working through a number of trade specific Brickwork units as well as studying Maths and English whilst on this course. Maths and English will be delivered at a level appropriate to your prior qualifications and initial assessment. In addition to this we will prepare you for employment, and ensure you take part in meaningful work experience.
If you have a Grade C or above in GCSE Maths and English, you will be in workshops and classes studying at a higher level to enhance your Maths and English skills. If you have a GCSE Grade D then you will study GCSE Maths and English with an expectation to achieve a Grade C or above. If you have a lower grade, or no GCSE, you will study the most appropriate level of Functional Skills qualification.
Programme for Students Aged 19+.
This is a practical and theory based course which consists of you working through a number of trade specific Brickwork units only. Maths and English are not an integral part of your course.
The Brickwork City and Guilds Level 1 Diploma will need you to complete specific units and topics. You will work towards the following units to make up the full qualification:
- Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction
- Principles of Building Construction, Information and Communication
- Contribute to Setting Out and Building of Masonry Structures up to Damp Proof Course
- Carrying Out Brick Laying Activities
- Carrying Out Block Laying Activities
- Carrying Out Cavity Walling Activities
Each unit will include an externally set assessment to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the unit.
Students will have to participate in a course suitability test within the first six weeks of the course.
Course Leader profile
Patrick originally trained and worked as an engineer before coming to Calderdale College himself to learn brickwork. After qualifying and gaining his teaching qualifications he has now worked at Calderdale College as a tutor for over 10 years. Patrick continues to work in the construction industry and as a member of the Guild for Bricklayers, Patrick said, "working at college has given me the opportunity to make a real difference and share my knowledge and experience of construction".
All applicants will be required to have successfully completed a suitability assessment.
Interview with a specialist tutor. Candidates are required to show enthusiasm and commitment to the course.
Questions & Answers
How is the course assessed?
Continuous assessment throughout the course based on practical observation, portfolio of evidence, written assessments and online exams.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
All successful students may have the opportunity to progress onto a Brickwork Diploma Level 2 or an NVQ Level 2 through the work based evidence route. Employment opportunities could include an apprenticeship in your chosen trade area.
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
To help you to succeed in your course of study we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other condition which significantly affects your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or for further information about the support available, please contact the study support team on 01422 357357 Ext 9347.
Home Educated Young People
Young people aged 14-16 who are home educated can now access college courses free of charge to enhance their education. If you are interested in finding out more about the opportunities available please contact the School Liaison Team on 01422 399332.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Full-time and Part-time (evening)
- Start Date: January 2018 ( Level 1 Cert in Brick); September 2018 (Diploma)
- Hours per week: TBC
- Days: Monday to Friday
- Start Time: TBC
- End Time: TBC
- Duration: 1 Year (Diploma) or 6 months (Cert)
- Course Fees: This course is free for students age 16 - 18. For students 19+ please contact our Student Services Team In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: Construction & Technology
- Department Manager: Andrew Barnes
- Level: Level 1
- Qualification Name: Bricklaying City and Guilds Level 1 Diploma
- Awarding Body: City and Guilds
- Course Contact: Admissions (9316)
- Email: email@example.com
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.