Level 1 Hairdressing & BarberingVRQ
This qualification is designed for people who wish to explore their interest in the Hair and Barbering sector. It will help them gain an insight into the industry; develop useful basic skills and learn relevant background knowledge.
This qualification will give you the necessary skills and confidence to progress on your chosen career path. The course is hands-on and creative, giving you a real taste of the industry. You will have the opportunity to engage in work experience and other work related activities during your course. You will gain experience in reception duties, as well as developing your Maths and English with our Functional Skills and GCSE courses - an integral part of your Study Programme.
The units you will study include:
- Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector – Career opportunities and services within the industry
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon – How to present yourself, communicate and behave in a professional environment
- Shampoo & Conditioning – Prepare the client for the service, select the appropriate type of shampoo and conditioner for the hair type and how to shampoo and conditioner for the hair type, and demonstrate how to shampoo and condition the clients hair professionally
- Plaiting & Twisting – Creating on scalp and off scalp plaits and twists using a variety of methods and ornamentation
- Styling Women’s Hair – Carrying out a variety of styling techniques on women's hair to include straightening, smoothing, curling, hair up, blow drying, setting, pin curling and finger drying
- The Art of Colouring Hair – Using Temporary and Semi Permanent colour to create coloured hair effects
- Salon Reception Duties – Receiving clients, making appointments, seating clients, dealing with enquiries, promoting the sale of products, services and treatments
- Styling Mens Hair – Carrying out a variety of styling techniques on men's hair to include: blow drying, finger drying, straightening and smoothing
- Create an Image – Creative in-house competition combining hair and themed face painting techniques
- Create an Image Using Colour – Creative colouring using temporary mascara, spray, mousse, stencilling, scrunching and shoe shining techniques
- Working with Others – Exploring the industry a little more, developing communication and team working skills, along with the opportunity to gain some valuable work experience.
The Hairdressing and Barbering team consists of a group of highly motivated and trained industry experts, with a wealth of knowledge, experience and passion for the Hairdressing and Barbering industry. You will learn through innovative methods including tutor demonstration, film, Moodle and digital learning; also through watching industry experts from around the world via online resources set to inspire you.
4 GCSE’s at grade D to G or grade 1 or above. We will consider applications from mature learners without the necessary entry requirements. You will be invited to an an interview with the specialist tutor where you will need to demonstrate creative flair and good communication skills. All applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Induction Day where dexterity and literacy and numeracy will be assessed.
Interview with course specialist
Questions & Answers
Does the course lead to a qualification?
VRQ Level 1 Diploma in an Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
What does the student do on completion of the course?
You may choose to enrol on to a full time Level 2 Hairdressing or Barbering course at Calderdale College, or you may go into employment and complete a Level 2 qualification in Hairdressing or Barbering through our Apprenticeship scheme.
How is the course assessed?
The emphasis is on 'learning by doing', so learners are required to complete a number of tasks, observations, assignments and tests to show their attainment of practical skills and underpinning knowledge.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
This qualification will give you a real taste of the industry, providing you with the basic, necessary skills and encouragement to continue on your chosen career path in the Hairdressing and Barbering industry. The following qualifications are progression routes from VRQ Level 1 Hairdressing and Barbering industry (dependant on age and ability): VRQ Level 1 Beauty Therapy/VRQ Level 2 Beauty Therapy (Full time programmes) VRQ Level 2 Hairdressing/VRQ Level 2 Barbering (Full time programmes) Level 2 NVQ Hairdressing/NVQ Level 2 Barbering (Apprenticeships)
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
To help you to succeed in your course of study we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other condition which significantly affects your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or for further information about the support available, please contact the study support team on 01422 357357 Ext 9347.
Home Educated Young People
Young people aged 14-16 who are home educated can now access college courses free of charge to enhance their education. If you are interested in finding out more about the opportunities available please contact the School Liaison Team on 01422 399332.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Full-time
- Start Date: September 2018
- Hours per week: 9.5 hours per week
- Days: To be confirmed
- Start Time: 9.00 am
- End Time: tbc
- Duration: 1 Year
- Course Fees: This course is free for students age 16 - 18. For students 19+ please contact our Student Services Team In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: Creative, Digital and Enterprise
- Department Manager: Robin Smith
- Level: Level 1
- Qualification Name: VRQ Level 1 Diploma: an Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector (Hair Route)
- Awarding Body: City & Guilds
- Course Contact: Sarah Emery (9575)
- Email: email@example.com
- Text: .
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.