British Sign Language Level 3 Certificate
This course is catered for learners who have shown competence in British Sign Language at Level 2. Successful learners must be able to demonstrate competence at Level 3 of the UK Occupational Language Standards.
The learner will be able to understand and use varied British Sign Language in a range of work and social situations. The learner will also be allowed to develop an advanced knowledge of the structure and function of British Sign Language and understanding of the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture.
During this course you will develop ability to:
- Demonstrate BSL competence at an advanced level
- Broaden and apply BSL skills required in a range of situations and contexts
- Demonstrate an understanding of BSL from a variety of registers in different situations with different people
- Communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in BSL using increasing accurate, complex and varied language
- Demonstrate increased knowledge of the grammatical structure and variation within BSL
- Demonstrate positive attitudes and sensitivity to language and language learning
- Demonstrate insights into and contact with the Deaf community
It will be to your benefit if you are able to have regular contact with deaf people and the deaf community whilst on this course. Your tutor will also encourage you to have a positive attitude towards deaf people throughout the course. You will be expected to have commitment, enthusiasm, self-discipline and organisations skills.
You must be familiar with the Level 2 BSL curriculum and you should hold a Level 2 BSL Certificate as well as having commitment to the course.
Interview and informal assessment with a specialist tutor to determine the suitability for the Level 3 course.
Questions & Answers
How is the course assessed?
The qualification is divided into three units each of which will be assessed separately. Candidate must pass all three to successfully complete the course. - Sign linguistics knowledge - Understand and use varied British Sign Language in a range of work and social situations. - Use varied British Sign Language in a range of work and social situations. You will be guided through each unit at a steady pace with work set both inside and outside of the classroom.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
Successful candidates from Level 3 Certificate in BSL can progress on to Signature Level 6 NVQ Certificate in BSL.
- Attendance: Part-time (evening)
- Start Date: September 2018
- Hours per week: 3 hours per week
- Days: Thursday
- Start Time: 6.00pm
- End Time: 9.00pm
- Duration: 1 year
- Course Fees: £1265 Please contact Student Services regarding funding for this course.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: Partnerships, Performance & Employability
- Department Manager: Hayley Phare
- Level: Level 3
- Qualification Name: Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Awarding Body: Signature
- Course Contact: Ayesha Gavin (9316)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.