VRQ Level 1 Hairdressing - January StartVRQ
This qualification will give you the necessary skills and confidence in the area that you choose. The course is exciting and creative and will give you a real taste of the industry. All learners will have the opportunity to engage in one week work experience in industry and all learners at some point during the course will work on the reception and dispensary. All learners will complete functional skills.
- The units covered:
- Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector – career opportunities and services within the industry
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon – how to present yourself, communicate and behave in a professional environment.
- Shampoo and Condition Hair – prepare the client for the service, be able to select the appropriate type of shampoo and conditioner for the hair type and how to shampoo and condition the clients hair professionally
- Plaiting & Twisting – create on scalp and off scalp plaits and twists using a variety of methods such as pipe cleaners and adding ribbon and decoration
- Styling Women’s Hair – straightening, smoothing, curling, hair up, blow-drying, setting, pin curling, finger drying
- The Art of Colouring Hair – using temporary and semi-permanent colour to create coloured hair effects
- Salon Reception Duties – receiving client, checking appointments, seating clients, taking care of clients’ belongings, giving service at reception – beverages, magazines, promoting the sale of products, services and treatments
Learn through innovative methods including demonstrations, video, podcasting and Moodle. You will be inspired by attending trade fairs and watching people from industry showing you their skills and what you can achieve.
At least 4 GCSEs at grade G or grade 1. We will consider applications from mature learners without the necessary entry requirements. You will be invited to an an interview with the specialist tutor where you will need to demonstrate creative flair and good communication skills. All applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Induction Day where dexterity and literacy and numeracy will be assessed.
Interview with specialist tutor.
Questions & Answers
Does the course lead to a qualification?
VRQ Level 1 Certificate in an Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
How is the course assessed?
The course is based on development and assessment of practical skills, underpinning knowledge which is assignment work and online tests. Completion of assessments builds a portfolio of evidence.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
You may choose to go into employment and complete a Level 2 qualification in hairdressing through the Apprenticeship route or full time at college.
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
To help you to succeed in your course of study we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other condition which significantly affects your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or for further information about the support available, please contact the study support team on 01422 357357 Ext 9347.
Home Educated Young People
Young people aged 14-16 who are home educated can now access college courses free of charge to enhance their education. If you are interested in finding out more about the opportunities available please contact the School Liaison Team on 01422 399332.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Part-time (day)
- Start Date: 15 January 2018
- Hours per week: 6.5 hours per week + additional Maths & English for under 19s
- Days: All day Monday, and Wednesday afternoon
- Start Time: 9.00 am (Monday); 12.30 pm (Wed)
- End Time: 3.30 pm (Monday), 3.30 pm (Wed)
- Duration: 22 weeks
- Course Fees: This course is free for students age 16 - 18. For students 19+ please contact our Student Services Team In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: Creative, Digital and Enterprise
- Department Manager: Carol Gladstone- South
- Level: Level 1
- Qualification Name: VRQ Level 1 Certificate in an Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
- Awarding Body: City & Guilds
- Course Contact: Sarah Emery (9575)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.