VRQ Level 1 Certificate Beauty Therapy - February StartVRQ
Can you think of a better job than this...? As you are working, you are cruising in the Caribbean or working on set of the latest Blockbusting movie… You could be your own boss at 20… All this is possible if you train to work in any of the hair and beauty sectors and qualify from Level 1 to Level 3. Level 1 Beauty Therapy can be the first step to achieving this. This course is offered for those who are aged 16-18 and 19+.
There are a choice of 2 routes within this qualification, the hairdressing route and the beauty therapy route. Depending on which route you choose this will determine the units that you undertake. This qualification will give you the necessary skills and confidence in the area that you choose. The course is exciting and creative and will give you a real taste of the industry. You will have the opportunity to engage in community work and work related activities during your course, and will have the opportunity to work on the reception and in the dispensary. You will complete Functional Skills. The areas you study will include:
- Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector – Career opportunities and services within the industry
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon – how to present yourself,
- Provide Basic Manicure & Pedicure Treatments – File, soften cuticles, provide superficial foot and lower leg massage and superficial hand and arm massage and use varnish
- Skin Care – prepare the skin using cleansers, toners andmoisturisers
Learn through innovative methods including demonstrations, video podcasting and Moodle. You will be inspired by attending trade fairs and watching people from industry showing you their skills and what you can achieve. You will be set SMART targets for each term on the units you are working towards. These will be reviewed and your progress monitored. Home study such as revision, research and completion of assignments will be expected.
Course Leader profile
I am a Beauty Therapy lecturer at Calderdale College, I teach on level 1 and 2. I left school and went straight into Beauty Therapy at college. My industry experience varies from working in a fitness spa to running my own Beauty Salon. I came into teaching 9 years ago and would not look back. I am passionate about creating fabulous professional therapists from school learners to mature learners. I really enjoy seeing training beauty therapists performing treatments on paying clients and seeing how far they have come.
You will be invited to an an interview with the specialist tutor where you will need to demonstrate creative flair and good communication skills. All applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Induction Day where dexterity and literacy and numeracy will be assessed.
Interview with specialist tutor
Questions & Answers
Does the course lead to a qualification?
VRQ Level 1 Certificate in an Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector
What does the student do on completion of the course?
You may choose to go into employment and complete a Level 2 qualification in Beauty Therapy through the Apprenticeship route or full time at college.
How is the course assessed?
The course is based on development and assessment of practical skills, underpinning knowledge which is assignment work and on line tests. Completion of assessments builds a portfolio of evidence.
Are there any opportunities for progression?
This qualification will give you a real taste of the industry, providing you with the basic skills and encouragement to continue into the beauty therapyindustry. The following qualifications are available to progress on to - VRQ Level Beauty Therapy, NVQ Level Beauty Therapy Apprenticeship.
The Advice & Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give information about College Courses and provide initial guidance to help you decide which course is best for you . Financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees, or travel. Careers and Student Advisors to give you the necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to further and higher education or employment.
During Your Study
To help you to succeed in your course of study we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other condition which significantly affects your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or for further information about the support available, please contact the study support team on 01422 357357 Ext 9347.
Home Educated Young People
Young people aged 14-16 who are home educated can now access college courses free of charge to enhance their education. If you are interested in finding out more about the opportunities available please contact the School Liaison Team on 01422 399332.Apply for this course
- Attendance: Full-time
- Start Date: 27 February 2018
- Hours per week: 6.5 hours per week
- Days: Mon - Fri
- Start Time: 9.00am
- End Time: 5.00pm
- Duration: 18 weeks
- Course Fees: This course is free for students age 16 - 18. For students 19+ please contact our Student Services Team In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
- Venue: Calderdale College
- Faculty: Creative, Digital and Enterprise
- Department Manager: Carol Gladstone- South
- Level: Level 1
- Qualification Name: Certificate in an Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector
- Awarding Body: City and Guilds
- Course Contact: Leanne Brannan (9575)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ApplyApply for this course
You can also download a printable application form (PDF 209KB).
For careers advice, please use our Careers Explorer.