A good College with outstanding features31st March 2011
Calderdale College has been praised by Ofsted for its focus on care and guidance of all students, for its high standard of student work and skills development and for outstanding partnership working that significantly contributes to community cohesion.
Inspectors reported that the College provides a welcoming and supportive environment for all learners and has a culture of high expectations and ambition. The College was described as good, with some outstanding features.
Ofsted reported that:
• The learner is at the heart of all that College does.
• The College has a very strong focus on meeting the needs of its local community.
• Care, guidance and support for learners are good.
• Current learners are making good progress in their studies as shown by the high standard of their work and skills development. They enjoy their studies and behave well.
• Safeguarding arrangements are strong, and learners feel safe.
• The College is highly inclusive with equality and diversity integral to the way it operates.
• Learners like the friendly atmosphere at the College, and the good teaching, help and support they receive.
• Employers like the College’s approach to the development of industry standard skills in their employees and the expertise and knowledge of College staff.
As well as the College’s partnership work, Ofsted describe 14-16 provision and support for learners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities as outstanding.
Principal Chris Jones said “I’m delighted that Ofsted have confirmed that Calderdale College places the learner at the heart of all the College does and that the College has a very strong focus on meeting the needs of the local community. Staff and students have every right to be proud of the College.”
First year BTEC Business Level 3 student from Queensbury, Rebecca Walsh stated “Calderdale College is a major factor in getting me to where I want to be career wise in life. I have already received so many additional opportunities in the short time I have been with the College, including an extra Enterprise qualification and a four month work experience placement as a PR Intern. I am certain that all these work based skills that I am continually gaining will stand me in good stead when entering the highly competitive job market. It’s great that the Ofsted report reflects the positive experience that I’ve had at the College”.
Inspectors described College Governors as ‘highly effective’ with a ‘very strong understanding of the provision and what it is like to be a learner at the College.’
Chris Jones was keen to highlight the hard work that had gone in to the improved result, as well as the importance of continuing improvement: “We will be pursuing the recommendations made by Ofsted, as everyone at College is ambitious to improve still further our services for learners and employers.”
To read the full report visit: