- We are rated Good for FE and Outstanding in our Apprenticeships.
- Staff are highly qualified and experienced, and use their skills well to motivate their learners and apprentices.
- “Learners gain confidence and improve the social interaction and communication skills that will support them well in their future lives.”
- “Teachers ensure that learners make good progress in developing their vocational skills and gain good levels of knowledge and understanding in practical subjects.”
In partnership with Bradford Dragons, we bring you our Elite Basketball Academy. The partnership offers a unique opportunity and pathway in which 16-19 year olds can progress to an NBL level side whilst gaining an education.
The Academy allows student athletes studying at Calderdale College to begin their basketball career with an NBL Division 1 league club, whilst gaining a nationally-recognised BTEC qualification.
Students enrolled on the programme will benefit from training on site, in state of the art facilities at the Inspire Centre, Calderdale College. These include a double sports hall, an elite strength and conditioning and fitness suite shared with elite athletes.
Players will receive ample contact time with UKCC accredited coaches in a timetable which is structured around their academic learning, ensuring the correct balance of time to complete academic work and training.
- 4-6 hours of weekly training delivered by a team of highly qualified UKCC coaches from Bradford Dragons.
- Specialist coaching sessions looking at specific technical and tactical aspects of basketball, leading into regular fixtures in the AoC competition calendar.
- Weekly strength and conditioning sessions with qualified coaches along with nutritional seminars and advice.
- Help towards achieving a scholarship to carry on playing and studying in the USA.
MEET THE COACH
Having played National League Basketball for 4 teams; Derby, Calderdale, Sheffield and Doncaster and also representing England at u’23 level, Chris retired from playing and started coaching the Bradford Dragons. In this time, he has guided the club from the Bradford league, to the Yorkshire league and through the national leagues to where they are now; currently playing in NBL Division 1, the second tier of English professional basketball. Chris is also the current head coach of the University of Bradford Men’s Basketball Team.
Coach Mellor has won the prestigious Coach of the Year award in Division 1,2 & 3.
2020 events to be confirmed TBC
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries about the programme.