for limitless growth
Realising Improvement in
Skills & Expertise
Industry placements provide work based learning opportunities for both the student and employer.
What are Industry Placements?
Industry Placements require the employer to provide 45-60 day placement (equivalent to a minimum of 315 hours) as part of the student’s college course; in preparation for the introduction of Technical Levels in 2020.
Our Industry Placements team are working with local employers and organisations from all sectors to develop students technical and employability skills – getting them ready for the world of work.
There are a number of associated benefits for employers who are integrating industry placements into their corporate strategy which include:
Why should my business get involved?
- Extra resources for your projects and day-to-day operations from students developing skills in a course relevant to your business and industry
- Opportunity for your employees to develop management and mentoring skills
- Fresh perspective for your business
- CSR impact: share with stakeholders how your business has supported local young people into industry placements, improving their employability and progression opportunities
- Inspire the next generation to work in your industry
- Address current and future skills shortages in your industry
- Strengthen your recruiting pipeline and increase diversity
- Shared value: benefits for business and society are correlated – increased social inclusion leads to new business opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions
Industry placements are about providing students with high-quality, meaningful training, not work. Therefore, students are not entitled to a salary as the placement is forming part of a course of further education. There is no legal requirement or expectation that students will be paid. However, you can pay the student should you wish to, or support the student with their travel and subsistence costs. In the pilot, some employers offered a free meal to placement student and some employers picked up and dropped off the student where public transport was not available.
Listen to our employer FAQs...
If you are interested in finding out how Rise can support your business, click Enquire Now below and one of our expert advisors will be in contact.
Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over 3000 companies across the Leeds City Region have benefited from working with us.
Interested in getting involved?
Express your interest in our industry placements scheme by filling in the form below and we’ll be back in touch as soon as possible.
Industry Placements for Students
Learn more about industry placements and the benefits for students.
Funding Flow Chart
See our explanatory flow chart for information on the Apprenticeship Levy.
Increase your understanding of the Apprenticeship Levy.
Read about our top ten responsibilities you have to an apprentice as an employer.