HISTORY

The Foundation Stone for Halifax Technical College was laid on 23 May 1893 and classes began in 1896 in one laboratory, a weaving shed, and various classrooms.

The college consisted of 1000 students, 23 part time teachers and one full time teacher plus, presumably, a Principal.

Halifax Technical College offered courses in Textiles, Engineering, Chemistry, Commerce and ‘Women’s Work’.

Note: Halifax Technical College was formed from a Halifax Mechanics Institute (1825) and a Halifax School of Art (Queens Road)(1859).

In 2013, the College celebrated its 120th birthday (1891 to 1956 Halifax Technical College)/Percival Whitley College (from 1957) and Calderdale College (from 1988).