- We are rated Good for FE and Outstanding in our Apprenticeships.
- Staff are highly qualified and experienced, and use their skills well to motivate their learners and apprentices.
- “Learners gain confidence and improve the social interaction and communication skills that will support them well in their future lives.”
- “Teachers ensure that learners make good progress in developing their vocational skills and gain good levels of knowledge and understanding in practical subjects.”
If you live, breathe and sleep rugby, then we’re the college for you. You’ll develop the knowledge and expertise you need for a career or to move on to university or an apprenticeship and gain a nationally recognised qualification whilst training and playing each week to develop your rugby skills.
Our Tier 3 accredited Academy is part of the new RFL initiative to introduce a pathway from grass root to elite performance. This new pathway is aimed at student athletes who wish to combine their academic studies with an opportunity to progress into the professional game.
This course will allow students to achieve a BTEC in Sport and open the door to many exciting career opportunities within the sports industry such as Coaching, Nutrition, Therapy and Fitness Instruction – to name just a few!
Calderdale College has also partnered with local professional clubs including Halifax Rugby League Club and Huddersfield Rugby Union Club which means that their teams will have an active involvement in the course activities, and provide practical experience for students allowing them to learn first-hand from professionals through the field sessions, strength and conditioning programmes and also through professional analysis.
In order to develop better all round skills, maximise playing time and fit into the regional calendar of games, students will have the opportunity to participate in all three rugby codes – Rugby League, Rugby Union and 7’s.
As recognized leaders in employer engagement, Calderdale College also strives to provide students with the skills that employers are looking for. The structure of this course will include working on the ‘softer’ yet equally important life skills such as presentation and workplace conduct that employers value.
Level 3 entry requirements include 5 GCSE passes at grade C/grade 4 or above, ideally including English and Maths (some subject areas may require higher grades than grade C/4 in a specific subject), or for progressing students, successful achievement of a Level 2 vocational qualification.
MEET THE COACH
Head Coach, Scott Murrell, has an extensive playing career, starting at Leeds Rhinos as a scholar Scott has played for London Broncos, Hull KR and Halifax RLFC.
- Student Rugby League National College Cup Winner 2014
- Student Rugby League Championship Winner 2014
- Student Rugby League College 9s Yorkshire Winner 2014
- Student Rugby League Northern League Winner 2014
To apply for this course online click here or call us on 01422 357 357 for more information.
Click here to see our Performance Analyst, Chris O’Connor’s blog for an insight into the world of Rugby!
“It’s great that we now have a recognised pathway from our age grade teams, through to 1st team and beyond! We believe we have created an environment for young players to thrive at Huddersfield and we’re delighted to be in partnership with Calderdale College”Gareth Lewis, First XV Head Coach, Huddersfield RUFC