Level 3 Assessing Awards and Certificates
This course is currently the only recognised formal assessment qualification available to become a qualified assessor.
Entry Requirements: See below
The OCR Level 3 Assessor qualifications are aimed at 3 groups of people:
- Those who routinely assess candidates or learners in a training environment such as a Workshop, College or Training Centre but not in a workplace environment. (Award in Assessing Vocationally Related Training consisting of Unit 1 & Unit 3).
- Those who routinely assess candidates or learners in a workplace environment. (Award in Assessing Competence in the Workplace consisting of Unit 1 & Unit 2).
- Those that routinely assess both of the above. (Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement consisting of Unit 1, Unit 2 & Unit 3).
The qualification is now divided into three units as follows:
- Unit 1 – Principles and practices of Assessment (theory unit) – please note that unit 1 is a compulsory unit.
- Unit 2 – Assessing Occupational Competence in the Workplace (this is a practical unit).
- Unit 3 – Assessing Vocational Skills, Knowledge and Understanding (this is a practical unit).
If you have completed Unit 1 as part of the Award in Education and Training, you can just do Units 2 & 3 on their own.
Unit 1 will be run as classroom session over 5 weeks from 5.00pm until 8.00pm (times may vary). Units 2 and 3 will be delivered on a one to one basis in the candidate’s workplace as arranged with the course tutor.
Entry Requirements & Interview Process
This qualification is suitable for those people (over 19) who are already assessing learners (or will have the opportunity to assess), whether in a voluntary or paid capacity. If assessing NVQ qualifications you will need a qualified assessor to mentor you and will need the support of an internal quality assurer. For other qualifications, it is advisable that you have the support of an experienced assessor and internal quality assurer.