VRQ Level 1 Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector (Hairdressing Route)
Get you the qualifications that you need to progress in the Hairdressing industry with this introductory course
Entry Requirements: 4 GCSE’s at grade G/grade 1 or above
This qualification is designed for people who wish to explore their interest in the Hair and Beauty sector. It will help them gain an insight into the industry; develop useful basic skills and learn relevant background knowledge.
This qualification will give you the necessary skills and confidence to progress on your chosen career path. The course is hands-on and creative, giving you a real taste of the industry. You will have the opportunity to engage in work experience and other work related activities during your course.
You will gain experience in reception duties, as well as developing your Maths and English with our Functional Skills and GCSE courses – an integral part of your Study Programme.
The units you will study include:
- Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector – Career opportunities and services within the industry
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon – How to present yourself, communicate and behave in a professional environment
- Shampoo & Conditioning – Prepare the client for the service, select the appropriate type of shampoo and conditioner for the hair type and how to shampoo and conditioner for the hair type, and demonstrate how to shampoo and condition the clients’ hair professionally
- Plaiting & Twisting – Creating on scalp and off scalp plaits and twists using a variety of methods and ornamentation
- Styling Women’s Hair – Carrying out a variety of styling techniques on women’s hair to include straightening, smoothing, curling, hair up, blow drying, setting, pin curling and finger drying
- The Art of Colouring Hair – Using Temporary and Semi Permanent colour to create coloured hair effects
- Salon Reception Duties – Receiving clients, making appointments, seating clients, dealing with enquiries, promoting the sale of products, services and treatments
- Styling Men’s Hair – Carrying out a variety of styling techniques on men’s hair to include: blow drying, finger drying, straightening and smoothing
- Create an Image – Creative in-house competition combining hair and themed face painting techniques
- Create an Image Using Colour – Creative colouring using temporary mascara, spray, mousse, stencilling, scrunching and shoe shining techniques
- Working with Others – Exploring the industry a little more, developing communication and team working skills, along with the opportunity to gain some valuable work experience.
The Hairdressing and Barbering team consists of a group of highly motivated and trained industry experts, with a wealth of knowledge, experience and passion for the Hairdressing and Barbering industry.
You will learn through innovative methods including tutor demonstration, film, Moodle and digital learning; also through watching industry experts from around the world via online resources set to inspire you.
Entry Requirements & Interview Process
4 GCSE’s at grade D to G or grade 1 or above. We will consider applications from mature learners without the necessary entry requirements.
You will be invited to an an interview with the specialist tutor where you will need to demonstrate creative flair and good communication skills.
All applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Induction Day where dexterity and literacy and numeracy will be assessed.