Hairdressing – Level 1 Certificate – January 2021 Start
Get you the qualifications you need to work in the hair & beauty industry whether that be salons, prisons, hospitals or TV sets.
Entry Requirements: 4 GCSEs at grade G/grade 1
This course is designed for people who may be contemplating a career in hairdressing. It will help you gain valuable insights into the industry and will develop useful basic skills.
This qualification will give you the necessary skills and confidence in the area that you choose. The course is exciting and creative and will give you a real taste of the industry. All learners will have the opportunity to engage in one week work experience in industry and all learners at some point during the course will work on the reception and dispensary. All learners will complete functional skills.
The units covered:
- Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector – career opportunities and services within the industry
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon – how to present yourself, communicate and behave in a professional environment.
- Shampoo and Condition Hair – prepare the client for the service, be able to select the appropriate type of shampoo and conditioner for the hair type and how to shampoo and condition the clients’ hair professionally
- Plaiting & Twisting – create on scalp and off scalp plaits and twists using a variety of methods such as pipe cleaners and adding ribbon and decoration
- Styling Women’s Hair – straightening, smoothing, curling, hair up, blow-drying, setting, pin curling, finger drying
- The Art of Colouring Hair – using temporary and semi-permanent colour to create coloured hair effects
- Salon Reception Duties – receiving client, checking appointments, seating clients, taking care of clients’ belongings, giving service at reception – beverages, magazines, promoting the sale of products, services and treatments
Learn through innovative methods including demonstrations, video, podcasting and Moodle.
You will be inspired by attending trade fairs and watching people from industry showing you their skills and what you can achieve.
Entry Requirements & Interview Process
At least 4 GCSEs at grade G or grade 1. We will consider applications from mature learners without the necessary entry requirements.
You will be invited to an an interview with the specialist tutor where you will need to demonstrate creative flair and good communication skills.
All applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Induction Day where dexterity and literacy and numeracy will be assessed.