Christmas tutorial: Mince Pies
Ready for Christmas? With this scrummy Mince Pie recipe you certainly will be! Have a go at making these festive treats and don’t forget to share your creations with us on social media by tagging @CalderdaleCollege #TeamCalderdale.
For the pastry
- 375g plain flour
- 250g butter
- 125g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 medium free-range egg
For the filling
- 2 x 400g/14oz jars mincemeat
- 2 tangerines, zest grated and flesh chopped
- 1 apple, finely diced
- Lightly butter a 12-hole pie or patty tin. Tip the mincemeat into a bowl and stir so that the liquid is evenly distributed.
- Rub the butter, flour and sugar together. Slowly add the egg and bring together to form the pastry.
- Bring the mixture together with your hands, wrap in clingfilm and chill for an hour or so. Thinly roll out the pastry on a floured surface. Cut out 12 circles with a fluted pastry cutter, large enough to fill the base of the prepared tin. Press gently into each hole, then fill with the mincemeat.
- Cut out another 12 slightly smaller discs and use to cover the mincemeat. Press the edges together to seal. Make a small slit in the top of each, then brush lightly with milk. Chill for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Bake the pies for 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack and serve warm.